Habitat Hamilton’s newest program, RePair Rescue, offers free exterior home-improvement services to local homeowners who are facing socio-economic challenges, preventing them from completing necessary home repair work.
We know that home repairs can sometimes come at the worst of times. That’s why Habitat Hamilton launched RePair Rescue.
Do you own a home in the Hamilton region? Have financial challenges made it difficult for you to complete essential, exterior home maintenance and repair work? Are you worried about your health, safety, or well-being? If yes, consider applying for assistance via Habitat for Humanity Hamilton’s RePair Rescue program. At Habitat Hamilton, we believe everyone deserves to feel safe and secure in their own home!
If you’re a homeowner residing in the City of Hamilton, in need of necessary exterior home repair or maintenance work and you’re facing barriers, you may qualify for our program.
In order to meet our basic requirements, potential RePair Rescue homeowners must meet the following set of criteria:
- Live in Hamilton, Haldimand County, or the territories of the Six Nations of the Grand River and the Mississauga of the New Credit
- Own and occupy their home as their primary residence
- Must not own any other form of accommodation, such as a cottage or vacation property
- Require necessary, exterior, home repair and/or maintenance work that will help keep your home safe and decent
- Face socio-economic challenges which are preventing necessary home repair and/or maintenance work due to at least one of the following barriers:
- A fixed or low-income
- Financial insecurity
- Loss of hours, wages or consistent work
- Age (i.e. over the age of 65 years old)
- A disability or health issue
- Other disadvantages relating to the pandemic
- Applicants must not exceed the gross household income criteria, as shown, in the table below:
|Size of Home
||Maximum Gross Household Income
|1 person home
|2 person home
|3 person home
|4+ person home
The following arrangements and scenarios are not eligible for RePair Rescue support:
- Tenants and others who rent their accommodation
- Landlords and income producing properties rented to tenants on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis
- Institutional, commercial, and industrial properties
- Rooming houses, boarding houses, and other forms of short-term and/or transitional housing
- Existing Habitat Hamilton homeowners
- Applicants who have received assistance under previous home repair and maintenance programs delivered by Habitat Hamilton
RePair Rescue aims to help as many Hamilton homeowners as possible, building strength and security through shelter. With that being said, approved applicants will be limited to:
- No more than 2 separate repair or maintenance jobs, such as repair to an exterior door and installation of a handrail
- No more than $2,5000 in total project funding, including the cost of all labour and materials
Available Home Repair and Maintenance Services
Funding under the RePair Rescue program allows for delivery of a host of essential home repair and maintenance services. These include, but are not limited to:
- Vinyl siding repair/removal/installation
- Aluminum soffit, fascia, and eavestrough repair/removal/installation
- Fence and deck construction and maintenance
- Deck/porch repair and maintenance
- Exterior stair and handrail repair/removal/installation
- Exterior door repair/removal/installation
- Shed repair/removal/installation
- Exterior painting, caulking, and weatherproofing
- Minor roof repair
- Yard maintenance and clean-up
- Exterior pressure washing
We are happy to receive other requests for services not shown on the list above.
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer the following repairs and maintenance services:
- Any/all interior repairs or renovations
- Electrical and natural gas services
- Rough in plumbing
- Chimney and/or masonry restoration
- Roof replacement
- Rodent and pest control
- Tree removal
- Heating, cooling, or appliance repair
- Pool care
- Repairs and maintenance services that would require detailed design drawings and/or building permits.
Application and Selection Process
Funding under RePair Rescue is available on a first-come, first served basis. Interested homeowners are, therefore, encouraged to apply early. Applications are not reviewed or considered compete until all required supporting documentation has been supplied to the satisfaction of Habitat staff.
To apply for assistance under RePair Rescue program, please follow the steps below:
- Read the program guidelines in their entirety to confirm that you and your project(s) are eligible.
- Complete and submit our RePair Rescue application form or visit us at the Hamilton ReStore (285 Nash Road North, Unit #1, Hamilton, ON, L8H 7P4) for a paper copy of the application. Completed applications can be returned via postal mail, email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or delivered in person to the Hamilton ReStore. If you’re using the linked PDF, please be sure to download and save the file before you begin filling it out.
- Once your competed application is received, a RePair Rescue staff member will book a free consultation with you to visit your home and evaluate the scope of work required.
- If the work falls outside the scope of funding available and/or services available, you will be notified by phone and follow-up email.
- If the work falls within the scope of available funding and the services offered, your application will be reviewed by staff to verify your eligibility. Additional documentation may be required at this time, including proof of income and homeownership.
- Following review, you will be notified by phone and follow-up email that you are either ineligible for assistance or successful in your application.
- If your application is approved, you will be sent (via email or postal mail) a copy of our Partnership Agreement, which you must read, signed, and returned.
- Once the completed Partnership Agreement has been received by our office, a RePair Rescue staff member will contact you to schedule the work and answer any questions you may have. A completed copy of the Partnership Agreement, signed by RePair Rescue staff member, will also be returned to you at this time.
- Unless factors beyond our control otherwise prevent, all work will be completed at the scheduled date and time.
- The 1-year warranty period will come into effect following completion of the job.
Project scheduling and timeline
The RePair Rescue program is set to launch in Spring of 2021 and will remain in effect until such time as all available program funding has been allocated. If and when additional funding becomes available, the program will continue to be delivered.
Repair work completed under RePair Rescue is warrantied (material and labour) for 1 year from the time of completion. Maintenance services, such a grass cutting or snow removal, are guaranteed to be completed to the homeowner’s satisfaction at the time the services are rendered.
If you think you may qualify, but you like to learn more, we want to hear from you! Contact us via email at email@example.com or by phone at 905-560-6707 ext. 109.