At Habitat for Humanity Hamilton, we’re committed to making our local communities stronger by providing families with a place to call home. Apply to join our team and help us make a meaningful difference in our local communities.
Please check back regularly for new postings.
CURRENT AVAILABLE OPENINGS (1):
Job Title: Construction Supervisor
Reports to: Program Manager
Hours: Full-time (salaried), Monday-Friday day shifts, occasional evenings and Saturdays
Location: Various construction sites in the greater Hamilton Area
Interested in making an impact in the community? Want to make a difference while earning a paycheque?
Building homes in Hamilton and the surround region, Habitat for Humanity Hamilton is looking for a hands-on construction professional to join our team. This individual will play an integral role in leading Habitat Hamilton’s Build Program to build simple, decent and affordable homes.
Founded in 1991, Habitat for Humanity Hamilton is an independent, not-for-profit housing program that builds strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter. Habitat Hamilton’s mission is to mobilize volunteers and community partners to break the cycle of poverty throughout Hamilton and the surrounding region.
We implement an on-going development model called the Home Build Program. Within this program, we build homes and provide interest-free and geared-to-income mortgages to hard-working and deserving families who otherwise could not afford homeownership.
Beyond our mission to build homes and help families, we also provide experiential learning opportunities to secondary students within the Home Build Program through our Youth Build Program. Habitat Hamilton has been providing experiential learning opportunities to students for over 8 years, doubling our build-sites as real-world classrooms. Beyond the work-related skills attained on site, students also develop a strengthened sense of community engagement.
For more information, please visit www.habitathamilton.ca.
The Construction Supervisor is responsible for the day to day operation of the construction site(s) through the direct leadership of construction volunteers, trades, teachers, students, and staff, while supporting project planning, acquisition of product and trades, and managing relationships with inspectors, construction partners, and the community.
- Deliver all aspects of construction supervision in accordance with the mission, vision and values of Habitat for Humanity Hamilton
- Lead, support, instruct and supervise all build site volunteers, teachers, students, staff, trades and crew leaders in the construction of homes according to planned scope, timelines, and budget
- Take a hands-on approach to homebuilding, actively engaging in the construction process
- In collaboration with the Manager of Families Volunteers, engage with volunteers and partners to provide a positive and productive experience on the build site
- Communicate with local building inspection department / authority and coordinate all mandatory inspections
- Support the Program Manager in the submission of all permit applications as required, including any due diligence
- Support the acquisition of construction material and GIK through Habitat Canada and community partners, including materials and labour
- In partnership with the Program Manager, acquire sub-contractors as required for the build site
- Deliver the home warranty program, under direction of the Program Manager, to document warranty requirements; engage with homeowners; develop schedules; deliver required repairs to planned scope, timelines and budget; and attain sign offs
- Inventory and maintain all construction equipment and tools to CSA and MOL standards; and organize
- Actively participate in meetings of the Habitat Hamilton Safety Committee
- Work in compliance with the Ontario Health & Safety Acts and Regulations
- Monitor build site safety practices in compliance with health and safety standards, and prepare, submit and act upon incident reports; provide intervention as required, ensuring the safety of everyone on site
- Monitor construction site compliance with health and safety legislation, provide advice, make recommendations and improvements, and contribute to the development of policies/guidelines/handbooks, as it relates to health and safety
- Partner with the Program Manager and Fund Development Manager for input into construction planning, and to identify resource, product, and process needs of the construction program
- Support and provide technical insight to the Program Manager into the construction planning process, including house designs, budgets and end-to-end scheduling
- In partnership with the Program Manager, communicate with architect / design specialist to ensure compliance or to implement changes to the design to reduce cost and simplify construction
- Control and manage invoices and packing slips for timely submission to Administrative Supervisor
- Communicate regularly with affiliate administration including the ED/CEO and Program Manager
- Provide regular feedback to management, including input to monthly reports to the Board of Directors
- Recommend and implement improvements to affiliate process and policies
- Self-motivated, outgoing individual with a positive outlook and a passion for generating a social impact in the Hamilton community
- Strong knowledge and experience in all facets of residential construction
- Working knowledge of the Ontario Building Code (OBC) and related legislation
- Basic understanding of zoning by-laws, environmental site assessments, and land-use regulations
- Ability to foster positive relationships with volunteers, and community members
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Sound judgement, superior organization, ability to train others, and prioritize tasks
- Ability to empathize with the populations Habitat serves
- Demonstrated organizational, verbal and written communication, time management, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage workload and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Solid computer literacy including MS Office products
- Ability to be flexible, versatile, and/or tolerant in a changing work environment, while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
- Access to a reliable vehicle and a valid G class license
- Provision of drivers abstract upon request
- Willingness to work flexible hours, as necessary
- Clean police check
How to apply:
Please submit your resume to email@example.com.